What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37x84mm VSM CASE

earni74

Premium Member
headline of the post is correct, 37 x 84mm VSM case

I do not think that the case has been cut down because the top of the case
is very thin as it should be, the sharp shoulder is a mystery, I think it may
have been used as a blank

All comments welcome002.jpg011.jpg004.jpg

Hi Mick,
not the same,but pictured here a VSM blank.Case length 90mm,note 4 crimps around case to hold cardboard disc to retain charge.
Headstamp has the VS&M mark inside circle.Drawing of this one in book A gun for all nations,I think vol 1.
May be of interest anyway.
Tim.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 81
Tim, I remember the day you got the blank case, at that time I had no interest in the 37mm Hotchkiss rounds
There are two 37x84mm cases noted in my papers, first is a USA one of unknown manufacturer and the second is a 37mm Hemberg (shortened Hotchkiss Exp 1885) Dutch Navy, as can be seen the headstamp on my case is VSM, has anyone got more info on this length of case. Thanks

1Pr VSM Blank b.jpg1Pr VSM Blank a.jpegI want to show my loaded 1Pr blank Mk11. The brown card wad is domed and a bit chewed at the top but still a scarce cartridge.

The Dutch 37x84R44 is know as a case for signalling, not the Hotchkiss gun or an experiment.

Thanks Hoeksel, i think you are correct, the case had been loaded in the past and on closer inspection it looks like it might have had a thick wad at the top inside, so i am satisfied that it is what you say it was used for,Mick