What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green 20mm hispano links

Falcon

I recently found a British 1951 dated 20mm Hispano case and three links at a car boot sale.

The links are painted in a colour I would describe as grass green, which is brighter than the standard military OD green.

The paint looks to be original, but quite a bit of rust is now coming through.

Were Hispano links originally painted this colour?

I also have some painted the green color as well as black ones.i don't know the reason for the green color.

I have some of the bright green, some a duller green and black.
I think the green link is post war(all mine is)and contemporary photos ,ie. early jets,tend to show green link,but again don't know why the change from black.
Most US Hispano link is just phosphated and/or oiled.

Thanks for the replies. Post war would make sense as they were found with a 1951 dated case. Could the colour have been used as an indicator of link type?

The links I have are all marked "H3". They are made by three different manufacturers. B.P (British Pens), P&S (Platers & Stampers Ltd), and "D.S.".

Does anyone know who "D.S." was?

Also, does anyone here know what the differences between types of links were?

I know its not my field, but could the coloured links be used every 100 rounds or so, to aid the loader ?
Andy