What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1960s 105mm OTO Melara wood ammo box?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
I picked this up yesterday, wood rather than the normal steel 105 box and for the 105mm HE M1 round. Being a 1960s dated box I guess this was for the OTO Melara pack howitzer. Again it has 'AUST' in the stencilling - see my post under Projectiles re the 25pdr smoke. But what does 'FOR FIRST ISSUE' mean on the end?

Any thoughts?

many thanks

Dave

Attachments

• 100_2007.jpg
    100_2007.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_2009.jpg
    100_2009.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 22
I'm not sure about OTO Melara as they're "M1" rounds and "M28A2" projectiles so US 105mm seem more likely. The US members should be stirring from their beds soon and should be able to advise.

All the filling was carried out at St. Mary's Munitions Filling Factory, Penrith, New South Wales.
Fuze - January 1967
Projectile - May 1962
Cartridge case - December 1965

As for "For first use" I would think they've been inspected and they were approaching the end of their serviceable life.

TimG

Last edited:
hi Tim, thats an interesting one - US type shells made in Australia & the box found in Dorset! Perhaps someone will add more to the story.

many thanks, Dave

I have a few US 90mm, 105G and 105H wooden crates, some from the 50's thru today.( thick Manila style rope handles the 50's thru the 60's on to black nylon rope handles). What they all have in common is the same metal hardware, it has gone unchanged. Your box appears to be US made, we did painted them but in a light tannish wood color when reused and relabeled, the only examples of those are 50-60's made. The earlier crates have ink stampings on the bottom exterior showing where made and specifications. I did not know other countries used the same US mil,spec crates. Interesting...I will add that old large caliber ammo crates in good shape are starting to bring unusually high prices, 50-70 bucks apiece. I buy all I can find in the 20-30 USD range...nice box. I just sold off a duplicate US 105mm M1, steel case, fiber container in crate to fund other purchases. The buyer said the crate and fiber container swayed him into buying it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: