What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7cm German PaK casing

Spaceinvader

Hello all,
I just got my first example of a 3.7cm PaK round, with a PzGr.40 projectile in really nice shape. The casing has unfortunately been chromed long ago, and since water has gotten under the chrome plating and rusted in a few spots. I thought it was a brass casing but it seems to be a steel casing. It is dated 1938, but from what I know (and have since been told) steel casings did not go into service until 1940? Can anyone confirm if that is true or not?
I plan on getting the casing cleaned up and chrome removed by a local plating shop.

Pics included are ones from the seller. I have since cleaned the projectile and some light cleaning on the casing. You can see where the chrome has come off completely and "bubbled" on the case. It completely came off by hand when un-wrapping out of the packaging. Projectile and case are not original to each other so dont actually fit together.

Attachments

• 3.7cm PzGr40 1.jpg
    3.7cm PzGr40 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.7cm PaK casing.jpg
    3.7cm PaK casing.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.7cm PzGr40.jpg
    3.7cm PzGr40.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.7cm PaK casing 1.jpg
    3.7cm PaK casing 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 79
Nice looking projectile. I always get nervous when a post mentions cleaning as more harm can be done than undone.

Unfortunately it is difficult to find the correct 3.7cm case but I do know original shaped cases were reused and the neck straightened and crimped to hold the pzgr. 40.

The "St" on the basestamp denotes steel.

PC

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, and yes I noticed immediatly the projectile is 1-2mm to wide for the mouth of the casing. It will just be sitting ontop until I can someday find the correct casing. Very happy with the projectile, my first example of this type and first example of a 3.7cm PaK round.

What is your opinion on getting the chrome taken off? Its been there awhile atleast. I have cleaned off any loose chrome and cleaned away any rust so it wont degrade further. My plan was to get the chrome taken off at a local plating shop, then re-plated with brass. Its a pretty basic procedure (for the guys at the shop). However I dont know how it could effect the case, its all in solid condition other than some pitting in obvious spots. Id like to hear others opinions before I do.