What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M53 api

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question for the masses.

Here are some pictures of the marks found on three different M53 20-MM API rounds.

KOP is Kingsbury Ordnance Plant
LC is Lake City Army Ammunition Plant
GLN is Galion Amco Inc (or) Valentec Galion Inc

So the left one is US although the blue head is odd.
The Right one is US
The middle one is the one confusing me. The LC would tell me US, but the SP isn't on the US manufacturer code list. Is this possibly one made by the US for someone else? Or maybe a different countries round altogether?

Any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 38
For SP I have different possibilities, if it is a manufacturer's code :

Scorzato Hermanos & Cia Ltd., Lujan, Argentina

Swartklip Products (Pty.) Ltd., Cape Town, South Africa. Also formerly known as RMC - Ronden Manufacturing

Simons Prezisions, Brummen, Netherland (on 20x102 projectile)

Yoda

It's a possibility, but I've never see two manufacturer's codes in one lot number.
What's the marking of the driving band ?

Yoda

Have to find out ...

But that's a good question. I should have thought about that.

Joe

Joe, I sent you a PM, I'll pull them this weekend and look for additional markings. The blue tip was fairly common on earlier API, my assumption was that it was a carry-over of earlier markings, maybe transitional?

Have to find out ...

But that's a good question. I should have thought about that.

Joe

Joe, that's one of the reasons why eod techs must work in team. There is more in two or three heads than in one ! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Yoda

So the band had GLN ... so again, I think made in the US, but for who, or why the SP within the CODE?

Joe

Attachments

• projo 1 red band 1.JPG
    projo 1 red band 1.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 7
  • projo 1 red band 2.JPG
    projo 1 red band 2.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 7
Yeah ... that's what I have, but the SP is still throwing me off. I think this is made in US for Netherlands. But that is a guess.

Joe