What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAF Museum, Cosford, Shropshire (near Telford/Wolverhampton)

Dave. What made you include a photo of a York ? Of particular interest to me as it was the first 'plane I ever had a ride in . We were stationed in Germany from 1948-50 during the Berlin Airlift & the airfield at Wunsdorf was chocker with them . Went out on several crash investigations with father when they ended up in turnip fields after a problem . Wish I still had all the photos from that time .

just thought it might interest a few people who were old enough to remember it Mike, actually a fairly little known aircraft these days. As you say, its main claim to fame was during the Berlin Airlift and as Churchill's 'private' aircraft. Air Chief Marshall Sir T. Leigh-Mallory was killed in one in 1944 when on a visit to Ceylon. It crashed in the French Alps during a blizzard and all on board, including his wife were lost.