What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A10 upside down view

Slick

The variety of ordnance makes me wonder what the empty racks held. And who/what they were used on. That ain't trainin' ammo.

A10.jpg

I suppose more Mk84 Jdams. Mostly the heavier stuff is near the centre as the wing and hull are stronger over there
Regards, DJH

Never thought of how dirty the GAU-8 would make the skin of the aircraft. Do they have to wash them regularly or doesnt matter?

I suspect that operating in a war zone, which this one appears to be, requires manpower directed to more important details than spit & polish.

...great pic...my thought exactly on the wash job. Not to long ago I did a job as a Colombian Army advisor, worked/ advised on UH1's, Hawks, Russian MI's at FOL's....we washed every other day so we could see the bullet holes and battle damage that we missed on post flights....sharing a few pics seen by few, .....and a test for those interested : notice the weapons pylon on the Colombian Air Force models, what is very interesting and unusual?....( besides the .50's mounted with APIT rounds- the FARC did not have any armor)....hint: see my hat...and those white packages are not coffee. It was a very interesting job that I took when the company I was working for offered five year furloughs during bankruptcy proceedings.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Whoever specified the loadout on that plane must have been a Boy Scout! Be Prepared!

I'm seeing L-R:
GBU-12 Mk. 82 500 Lb. Paveway II LGB
7 round 2.75 inch rocket pod
Maverick
3 empty racks
GBU-31 1B Mk. 84 2,000 Lb. JDAM
GBU-54 Mk. 82 500 Lb. Laser JDAM
GBU-12 Mk. 82 500 Lb. Paveway II LGB
Laser designator
2 Sidewinders

I agree with DJ, 2 more GBU-31 Mk. 84 2,000 Lb. JDAM's on center and on the left wing another GBU-12 or GBU-54.

I wish I had a high-resolution version of this photo. I love planes with real Ordnance, on their way "downtown".

Last edited:
You forgot the sidewinders! Maybe the empty racks held some sort of sea mine/torpedo. CAS/AA/ASW. Every "opportunity" covered. More like an Eagle Scout.

Am guessing the blackish pod next to missiles is ELINT or targeting.

I didn't miss the sidewinders, they just weren't typed in yet. The pod has to be a Laser Targeting pod for the GBU-12's and GBU-54.

Not to derail the post, but the Colombian Air Force mounted Gau 19's , .50 cal on their Hawks. The A10 30mm Gau is unmatched, but the .50 Gau has it's place, made of titanium to offset the weight of the 4,000 round ammo cans....I was surprised to see how the Colombians armed their Hawks, unknown to the US at the time....missiles are missiles, bullets are bullets.

A good video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VMHQzwDwc

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
A 10 001.jpga10 001.jpga10 3 001.jpga10 4 001.jpg
Here's some photos I took at Farnborough , probably some time in the 80's . Love the A10 but would be unable to name any of the weapons displayed alongside [apart from the GAU as it has a label !] I hope our American friends anjoy the pics .