What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Practice Bombs

I am posting some information on US practice bombs. A member asked for some info. It did take me some time to ID it and credit goes to a man who photographed one in naval museum somewhere in California. My bomb is displayed when I go to airshows,etc, and it should be painted blue. It is a Mark 87, Mod 0. I received it in this paint brushed OD green, and it has a simple trigger mechanism in the nose. A cartridge ( looks like a flare gun round in appearance) is inserted into the nose, and on impact it ignites and the smoke travels up a tube that runs internally the entire length venting smoke at the tail fin. If anyone knows where I can find the smoke charge, please PM me. The two suspension d bolts unscrew and are dated 1971. Used primarily by the US Navy in the 60's-70's.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg