What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Large British Projectile.

roadrunner404

Hello All,
I recently acquired this inert (& very rusty) AP or practice shot & wondered if anybody can shine a light as to what it is at all; dimensions as follows:

Diameter: 85-86mm.
Overall length: 233mm.
Driving band width: 22mm.
Outside dia of driving band: 90mm
Distance from D/B to base: 18mm.
Dia of hole in base: 12mm.

As stated above, rust has taken it's toll a bit. The driving band has what appears to be a broad arrow stamped into the aft section of band, so I'm assuming that it is British (or Empire) made & the fwd section has 6 narrow circumferential grooves cut into it. The rust has reduced the material diameter both forward & aft of the driving band & has affected the parallel side of the shot more that the (hardened?) ogive & point. Any ideas gladly received; many IMG_1583.jpgIMG_1584.jpgIMG_1587.jpgIMG_1586.jpgthanks in advance.

Hello glevum,
Many thanks for your thoughts on this one; I checked with a fired 25Pdr Smoke shell that I have & the driving band pattern on that matches this one. It's probably too far gone to restore but might throw some black paint & a couple of white/red bands on it to give it some dignity!
Regards, Ian.