What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 7 (G.P.) Grenade Box

With regard to the lettering.

The other WW2 dated packaging for explosives I have uses yellow text. I have some PE and 808 wooden boxes with WW2 dated yellow text, overpainted in white for same packing, so my presumption was a later relabelling. That is why I wondered if the instruction (posted above) for white text represented a post-war/late war instruction - and hence wondered if yellow text indicated age in any way? I do have WW2 non-Ordnance boxes labelled in white text. The text on this A12 box is in yellow (though isn't clear from the photos as it has been overpainted green. In places this has worn away and the yellow can be seen. I've looked closely for any additional markings, but I can't see any - and none at all on hinge side of the box.

i agree 125 grenades does seem a very heavy load. Is there any record for how much the original load of the A12 weighed?

White text was used, usually on the lid, to give the abbreviated operational name of the store. It was applied to assist easy recognition of the contents of a box/pack under operational conditions. It was only applied to operational ammunition (i.e. not Proof, Drill, blank etc., and only Land Service stores were marked in this way. I am not sure when it was first used, or whether or not it extended to Naval and Air Services. For a box containing PE the lid might be stencilled in white 2-inch capital letters PE3A.

One example of white text being used in the place of white is the Spoiler Rings for 105mm. Supplied in H84/C29s

White text was used, usually on the lid, to give the abbreviated operational name of the store. It was applied to assist easy recognition of the contents of a box/pack under operational conditions. It was only applied to operational ammunition (i.e. not Proof, Drill, blank etc., and only Land Service stores were marked in this way. I am not sure when it was first used, or whether or not it extended to Naval and Air Services. For a box containing PE the lid might be stencilled in white 2-inch capital letters PE3A.

The white over stenciling came in to use in 1944 to enable D-Day stores to be quickly identified.
Cheers
Gary