What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Howitzer Vs M148A1B1 Projectiles

Antman

Are the TP and General Purpose projectiles for the Howitzer and the M148A1B1 interchangeable? I can find a number of Howitzer projectiles for sale but I want one for my M148A1B1 case.

The proper projectiles for your Tank Gun case, are the Flechette, HEAT-T, TP-HEAT, and the APFSDS-T and TPFSDS-T. There are no projectiles that are fired from both cases. All of the Howitzer projectiles have only one rotating band due to their slower velocity.

Last edited:
Hazod--Thanks for the info. So, what are the proper projectiles for the 105mm Cartridge, M115 dated 1962? This case came to me with the Projectile, M1, TNT (Inert) and Fuze, Dummy, M59 which I know is for the 105mm Howitzer.

Follow-Up to my last post. Some internet searching has ID'd my M115 case as for the M68 Gun on the M60 (and others) U.S. Tanks.
Still need to know what are the proper projectiles for this round.

The M115 case is used for the APDS-T and TPDS-T projectiles. It has the longest primer of the three cases, and can only be used with projectiles that don't protrude into the case very far.

You should search the web for a free electronic copy of TM 43-0001-28 in pdf form. It is the best source of info on any recently current U.S. Army large caliber Ammo.

The most recent versions of this book are classified, but the older versions will cover almost anything you see.

Hazord--Thanks for the info on the TM. I downloaded it and it is exactly the kind of info I need for most of my questions.