What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 105mm (10.5cm?) Shrapnel Projectile.

roadrunner404

IMG_1595.jpgIMG_1596.jpgIMG_1597.jpgIMG_1598.jpg

Hello All,
Here's another projectile I picked up in France that I would appreciate any info about. Am guessing that it's a German (or Austro-Hungarian?) shrapnel shell with a bit of surface pitting, no apparent markings or paint & missing the fuze & fwd driving band. The area beneath where the band was shows longitudinal & circumferential staking to hold the band firm & also has remains of what looks like a light alloy material attached. The aft D/B has 32 grooves with RH twist. Dimensions as follows:

Overall length: 288mm.
Overall diameter: 105mm.
Fuze hole diameter: 89.5mm (again, rust has taken the sharp edges of the threads.)
Fuze hole thread depth: 18mm.
Fwd driving band groove width: 13mm.
Aft driving band groove width: 4mm.
Distance between d/band groves: 4mm.
Distance from aft d/b groove to base: 20mm.
Internal depth: 272mm.
Aft d/b width: about 4.7 to 4.9mm.

Also, any info on the appropriate brass case used for this round would be good to know too. Again, many thanks for your assistance. Regards, Ian.

Hello,
Body of a German (WW1) F.H. Schrapnell 16.
Later version with two bands, first copper and second zamac (missing on your shell).
You can find the same shell with only one larger copper band.

Regards

105.jpg

Hello,
Body of a German (WW1) F.H. Schrapnell 16.
Later version with two bands, first copper and second zamac (missing on your shell).
You can find the same shell with only one larger copper band.

Regards

View attachment 135112

Hi

I am doing little research in old subjects about prussiam artillery shells, especialy 77mm and 105mm. It is another time that i see that you attach some nice drawnings from some interesting book. It looks just like from "Notes on german shells" but i got 1916 edition, 1918 second edition, 1918 french edition... and there are no such diagrams... Maybe you got some latest wersion of it, most compleet? Can you give me source of it? I would be greatefull.