What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headstamp help required

Paul.F

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the markings on this case...it is a one inch diameter and the case is 6.5 inches long.

I found it last week on a shipwreck called the s.s Laurentic which went down in 1917 of the North coast of ireland when it hit a mine....it was an armed merchant ship carrying 43 tons of gold to America to pay for war supplies.

Many thanks for any help you can give._20170718_190129.JPG_20170718_190129.JPG

Hi, its a case for use with the 1" aiming rifle, use the search bar and plenty of info will come up. Cheers Tig.

Thanks guys I shall have a look at some other posts..... Any idea what the letters mean....is there abbreviations for different types or manufacturer ?

"E" is the mark of the maker, which is Eley Bros., the "V" is the mark number, and the "M" next to indicates that it was fitted with a Morris primer.

Please check the case length, not normally 6.5ins long, the complete round is only about 5.75ins. They were used for practicing with bigger calibre guns by having an inserted barrel into the bigger gun. Same drill could be used at much less cost and no wear to the main guns barrel.

Excellent, thanks ydnum303 thats perfect.

you are right 2pounder ...when using the correct end of the ruler it measures as you say ...must have been tired!

you guys know your stuff!!