What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown headstamp

RNLMC

Good afternoon gentlemen.

I recently got this case. It appears to be 577/450 martini henry.
I cant seem to identify the maker. the headstamp is a circle of k`s.
My thoughts are kynoch but i can`t find any information.
Does anybody know what i have here?IMG-20170717-WA0002.jpg

with kind regards.
werner.

It's not like any Kynoch headstamp I've ever seen or read about.

I can't find reference to multiple K's but K was also used by Kirkee Arsenal India, Karlsborg Arsenal Sweden, and by Kaunas Arsenal Lithuania.

Please post a picture of the case, with dimensions, so we can confirm it is .577-450

That is a weird headstamp! That is most definitely not any military headstamp I've ever come across. That said...the style of the letter 'K' does look very much like an early Kynoch 'K'.

hi reccetrooper.
the length of the case is 56.5mm but it is dented. a nother 577/450 case i have is 59mm long.
the mouth is 11.65mm wide and the bottom is 16mm.IMG-20170723-WA0002.jpg

I realy think it`s a martini henry case.
hope pic is helpful.

Werner,
Your case certainly looks like a Martini-Henry although it is slightly short at 56.5mm - it should be about 58.5mm.
You say 'the bottom is 16mm'. Do you mean the rim diameter? The correct measurement across the rim should be 19mm.
I'm thinking this might possibly be some sort of Kynoch trial run to test a headstamp bunter.
Jim

I don't think that it is a .577-450 case, its dimensions are too small. To my eyes the shoulder is too low down the case.

Published case dimensions vary a bit, but a .577-450 should be around 59mm length, the base of the case around 17mm and the rim around 19.3mm

Where did you acquire it from (country?) I have a gut feeling it is not British.

Jim.
the rim diameter is 18.35mm. If it is a trial run it`s done very neatly. It`s a perfect circle of k`s.
They are equaly spaced but one never knowes.

Reccetrooper.
I agree that the dimensions are somewhat off but i still think it`s a martini henry case.
It could be a kirkee manufacture. the case is lighter then the new one i have in my collection
which gives it a cheaper feel. I bought the case at a swap meet here in the netherlands.

jonnyc was on the right track.

After posting an ID request on the IAA forum the replies point to it being a home made .577-450 Martini-Henry case (of some age) like those made in the Khyber pass area and Darra Adam Khel (Pakistan). A similar headstamp is attributed in Hoyem Vol 2 to Afghanistan.

Thanks to both reccetrooper and jonnyc.
I never expected the case to be this exotic.
My camera doesn`t allow me to make proper pic`s.
hopefully these two pic`s show the state of the case.
the thickness of the rim is 0.96mm. The overall feel is kind of flimsy.

Thanks again and if you have any questions just let me know.

werner.