What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the 4.7 inch Mk 8 (V.III) look like?

H

Hoeksel

Can anybody tell me (even better show me) the dimensions and shape of a 4.7 inch MK 8 (V.III) navy case (interbellum dated)? And does this case have these typical case mouth with tabs?

my personal notes give the Mk VIII gun as having fixed ammo. sure someone will confirm or discredit.

If this is RN the only Mk 8 I know of is 4.5 inch.
This is a QF fixed round with so many extremely hard cannelures that it can break breakdown machines when trying to remove the case from the shell.

this is the round I was thinking of, date 1946, case 657mm long. sorry photo is pre digital days.47f 001 (2).jpg

Thanks to all, I was offered such a case but I had no clarity on length. I took the risk and bought it. Based on what the seller (not a collector) told me it seems the dimensions are the same as for the other 4.7 inch guns Mk 1,3 and 5. Case should probably measure 123x661R154. When I receive the case I will share the dimensions. Attached a (bad) image of the head stamp.

Attachments

• 4.7 inch Mk8.jpg
    4.7 inch Mk8.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 74
4.7in QF Mk V111

Thus was the largest calibre fixed ammunition gun ever in service. Mounted on HMS Nelson, Rodney,Courageous,Glorious, Albatross and Adventure only Total of 84 guns
The fixed round weighed 76lbs with a maximum length of 44.s6 ins (1124.2 mm.

Found this info from the book Naval Weapons of World Two By John Campbell

Hope this info helps

Steve EX RNAD Trecwn

I received the case thanks to a BOCN member. The case does not look cut down in any way, but it has no crimps nor tabs. The latter was not expected. It measures 119x655R154vs 123x661R154 for the Mk I, III and IV.
So clearly different in diameter which is probably logic because the Mk8 is fixed ammunition while the others are sperate loading. As for the length, not sure if this is correct but it seems to match the 657 mm mentioned by 2 pounder reasonably.
Hopefully I will find a drawing of this case to verify that it is not cut down.

And of course (insert happy face), I also found today almost the same case but Norwegian made (right next to the 4.7 inch Mk8)! This case measures 123x661R154 and has tabs. So the same as the UK 4.7 inch MkI, III and V.

Attachments

• Mk8 3 and NO.jpg
    Mk8 3 and NO.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Mk8 1.jpg
    Mk8 1.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Mk8 2.jpg
    Mk8 2.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Mk8 3 and NO 2.jpg
    Mk8 3 and NO 2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
The three holes are for fitting a 'Clip, Cartridge, Q.F. ---' The clip fits to the base of the case protecting the percussion cap of the primer from being fired accidently by a blow during transport and handling.

TimG