What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pdr BE shell stampings

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
something that has puzzled me for several years and perhaps someone has an answer to is were all the 25pdr BE 'carrier' shells actually stamped up at the point of manufacture with the intended content of that particular shell? All the BE bodies that I have seen were stamped 'SMK' but there were so many different loadings that I would have thought that at some point in the last 60 odd years I would have seen other stampings. Were BE shells made up as smoke but then used for other purposes at the filling stations? Any thoughts?

cheers, Dave

All the carrier shells whether screening smoke, umpteen coloured smoke types, target recognition etc.could be stamped SMK, except the illuminating which was slightly different, although illuminating in many natures is regarded as being related to smoke.
Even the propaganda shells which were made up as required, used the standard carrier smoke shell and were filled with leaflets according to need.

All the carrier shells whether screening smoke, umpteen coloured smoke types, target recognition etc.could be stamped SMK, except the illuminating which was slightly different, although illuminating in many natures is regarded as being related to smoke.
Even the propaganda shells which were made up as required, used the standard carrier smoke shell and were filled with leaflets according to need.

many thanks AE501, that does explain why I've only seen SMK and confirms my suspicions, well done!

Dave

Hi Guys,
Previous attempt to reply seem to have got lost in the oolu. So herewith again.
I have a fire eg stamped as follows
DX
D/1757
S&L

BE 25 PR 11 D
12/40

The fuze, less end cap of course, is a No 221 1 by JAP and also dated /40.

there are numerous acceptance stamps and a broad arrow.

but no other marks and the body is blued with no trace of paint or stencil The inner is perfectly clean so probably not smoke.
Alan1

any photos Alan? The smoke compound in a BE shell would be in either 3 or 4 'pots' so would not leave traces on the inner walls.

Dave

Hi Dave,
H/w few pics of fired eg of 25 pr, plus others of an unknown, for wch I should much appreciate yr opinion. It's 5" diameter, virtually solid with tube through centre, and the screw-in spindle is stamped No 27 Mk 11.
Best,
Alan.DSCN0418[1].jpgDSCN0419[1].jpgDSCN0420[1].jpgDSCN0421[1].jpgDSCN0422[1].jpgDSCN0423[1].jpg

Alan,

The 25 PR is a Shell, Streamline, BE Screening Smoke, Empty Design Mk II. The reason for the different colouration at the top of the projectile is that it was fitted with a separate head.

In theory, the Mk. II projectiles were only used for Coloured Smoke.

This projectile was made by S & L - Stewarts & Lloyds, which is slightly puzzling as just prior to the outbreak of WWII they formed what can best be described as a 'front' organisation - New Crown Forgings who were responsible for the manufacture of vast quantities of war material, mostly ordnance.

TimG

Hi Guys,
Mny thnks to TimG for info, but NB that there is no SMK stamp on the body.
Any thoughts re the other mystery projectile - if it is a projectile, of course.
Alan