What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need clarification on US Mk2 grenade

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

We usually find US WW2 Mk2 grenades in my place and as it's a common grenade I don't pay attention to details.
Today I found a live rusted original Mk2 in WW2 mountain battlefield (100% original)
I noticed uncommon details, remnants of red paint on the body (Mk2 with plug screwed on base), yellow band on the top (beneath the fuze), and a fuze M200 A1 but with a standard safety lever of M10 (after cleaning, I found markings on the top of the lever FUZE M200A, UAMCO, 14LOT)
So I assume this grenade was first a practice grenade painted red, refilled Ec powder for combat, painted green (paint is missing because of long time in the ground) and fuzed with a M200A1 modified.

Now I have several questions :

-Is it a practice grenade modified for the war ?

-What is the period of red code for practice Mk2 ?

-Is it usual to find a MK2 fuzed M200A1 modified with a M10 lever ?

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,
To answer your questions in order:

- It seems from many examples that the practice grenade has been recharged with explosives. The only difference between the
two grenades, being the bottom cap not present but an existing screw thread.

- The color red for the grenade MK II dates from the years 1924-25. The color blue follows the new change of color in 1926 (Without back stopper nor screw and a cork ...).

- Usual can be not but not rare. Originally the M200 A1 (A2, A3), was intended for specially loaded grenades (smoke, incendiary ...) but according to adaptations observed, it was first redesigned (Curved and reinforced lever) to be screwed on red practice grenade in place of the M5 igniter, then not know if it was modified or not to receive an special igniter for the EC Blank Fire. This will also result in a change of nomenclature with marked M200 A1, A2 or A3 engraved, overloaded with black painted letters M10 A1, A2 or A3.

The yellow color appeared in 1926 until 1942 (Olive green after). During this period, many grenades are always in gray, see gray painted yellow or red painted yellow. When the green color appears, the same phenomenon will occur, with yellow grenades painted green…. Everything remains therefore possible in painting.

Little documentation exists between the 2 World Wars, so it is difficult to confirm what is merely a finding on grenades recovered or existing in a museum. Sorry, I cannot do better.Good week-end
M200 A sur grenade practice.jpgM 200A Levier modifié.jpgFuze M 200 A:M10.jpg

I only saw engraved marking, maybe my fuze was marked with black stencils for modification M10A.. (now missing).
Original M200A1 is very short and igniter mixture is far from the filling (Ec powder). Maybe they made a longer igniter tube inside.

A new one on MkIIA1 Frag
Lever stamped MZ00A1 (maybe for M200A1) and black stencil FUZE M6A4C
I think they only re-used safety M200A1 lever as the body of M6a4c is different.

IMG_9343.JPG

Don´t pay attention to that thing, they recycled the safety levels always. Sometimes even without remarking or restenciling them. Many times just with a black paint tip.