What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian WW1 70mm Mountain Gun projectile

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a HE projectile for the Italian 70mm Canone da 70/15 mountain gun. It is 238mm long with a base diameter of 70mm and 20mm from the base to the driving band. I would be glad of confirmation of my identification as you do not come across Italian WW1 items in the UK very often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 47
Hello,

I think your are right but I don't recognize grooves on the brass fuze.
(typical fuze is M902 (M902/910).
I'm sure FERT could help.

Regards

Diagram :
70 ITALIAN.jpg

FERT Collection (forum's picture)
70MM italy.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply Fert, I just wanted to give the fuze a clean to be able to properly check for any markings before responding. Please see some close up pictures below, no markings on the brass section just a couple on the steel base. Could you confirm what the correct colour would be for a HE projectile, I am thinking a coat of paint would help preserve it better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 18
Hello,
fuze seems ok, a percussion mod 1902. I think damaged with a tool for unscrew.
Right color is dull red.
Here some pics of fuze, with transit plug and primer:
13 feb 2012_5168.JPG

Here you can see marking. Other one is a modificatione for the use of mod 1910 percussion fuze.
70mm007.jpg

best regards