What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ident assist - Mortar? Bomblet?

Rocket Doctor

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The attached images show 1 of 4 items of ordnance, possibly light mortar bomb? or bomblet?, carried on an octocopter drone, just after release.

BOCN-Q-1.jpg

BOCN-Q-2.jpg

BOCN-Q-3.jpg

Size can be guesstimated at somewhere between 200mm long x 40mm dia to 300mm long x 60mm dia max (most likely the smaller end of that bracket). The dark area on the body in the last image is shadow from the drone.

The drone can carry max of 6kg payload, so each item <1.5kg. Nose fuzed, armed by wind vane. Parallel body, truncated cone tail unit fitted with 6-fins. HE target effect on impact.

The drone was reportedly operated by Hezbollah - so it is possible that the ordnance is locally manufactured, but it could be commercially manufactured so want to see if anyone on here recognises it.

Thanks for any steer.

It certainly does 'Slick'.

I'm assuming those are 1 inch divisions in the photo - so around 1.5in dia. The length:dia ratio doesn't look quite the same, but I'm thinking that could be accounted for by lens distortion given that it was taken on a drones wide angled lens.

Many thanks, Slick.

Pete

Went out and measured it.
Dia. - 35mm/1.4"
OAL - 160mm/6.3"

And, I measured the pic and came out with nearly the same OAL vs Dia. ratio. My measurements from your pic = 22mm dia. and 95mm length less "fuze".

Last edited: