What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

38cm Lange max

morser124

Hello. Just wondering, how rare are the german 38cm's? And why is it that the pictures I have seen they are all made by polte madgeburg?

Cheers

All depending on where you live. I see them surfacing every 3-4 months overhere. And yes, up to now, Polte seams to be the onliest maker of this cartridge, while the 28 cm and 30,5 cm are made by Polte and by Karlsruhe.

IMG_0742.jpg
Thank you for the reply. I managed to get a cartridge, 1914 dated one and it seems to be the 1st one I've seen made by karlsruhe.
Also noticed that the max wasn't in service until 1915 (so I've read) so did the Germans make a batch of cases ready for the gun to be first used?

Thankyou in advance

Last edited:
The first were made for the Baden-Baden klasse cruisers. The spare guns were used in Flanders, so maybe, as usual, with the order of the guns, the first batch cartridges were made in karlsruhe, great find!

Did check my 38 cm, and it's a Karlsruhe, dated XII 1916, now i have to look for a 38 cm , polte marked cartridge :bigsmile:, to get the serie complete.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, that website is definetly a useful website. Do any of your cartridges have the green corrosion on the brass? And do you remove it or just leave as is? My 38cm is free from any green corrosion, but I have a 13 cm German cartridge with a small patch inside of it.