What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Body colour for 8.8cm Gr39 HL hollow charge HEAT projectile?

peregrinvs

Hi,

Amongst other things at W&P thus year I bought two 8.8cm Gr.39 HL hollow charge HEAT projectiles. (One for me and one for a friend) According to the seller, they were pulled out of a lake. One has traces of grey-green / field-grey coloured paint. Could anyone tell me what the exact colour is + the RAL code?

Thanks,
Mark

Feld Grau, field gray or dark forest green. I cannot help on the RAL code.

Attachments

• 88ammo.jpg
    88ammo.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Have you any pictures Mark. It's not a projectile that is often seen so would be interesting to see the pictures.

Thanks
PC

Have you any pictures Mark. It's not a projectile that is often seen so would be interesting to see the pictures.
Avec plaisir...
8.8cm Gr.39 HL shell - pre-clean (1).jpg8.8cm Gr.39 HL shell - pre-clean (2).JPG8.8cm Gr.39 HL shell - pre-clean (3).JPG8.8cm Gr.39 HL shell - pre-clean (4).JPG8.8cm Gr.39 HL shell - pre-clean (5).JPG
From this outfit:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/393635897637692/forsaleposts/

Allegedly retrieved from a lake. They had a small quantity priced at £110 or £130 each depending on condition. It's not currently very pretty, but I think it has restoration potential. As luck would have it, I have some RAL 6006 Grauloliv left over from a helmet restoration. I note Milcorem does off the shelf stencils as well.

How easy is it to find an AZ38 nose fuze? Also, what is the correct base tracer unit for this projectile?

Cheers,
Mark

Aluminum AZ38 fuses are very easy to find. Many of the German hollow charge shells used it - 75mm, 76mm, 88mm. The steel version is more difficult.

hello,
here restored with RAL 6007.

IMG_0408.jpgIMG_0410.JPG
interesting AZ 38 with navy waa
IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0411.jpg

best regards

Very nice paintwork. It looks really good. What method did you use to apply the paint?

I have two 7.5cm Sprgr 34 projectiles that are bare metal and could do with a similar job. Are they the same colour code?

PC

thank you.
first light sanding with abrasive paper, and after spray paint can.
From what I saw german german green shell was in different shades, but RAL 6006-6007 colors are quite good.
you need to try and chose.
regards

Since July I have cleaned it back to bare metal and am in the process of filling in the pitting. Unfortunately the fuze pocket in the nose cone is slightly distorted, so I've ordered a resin repro AZ38 fuze from Milcorem as it then doesn't matter if I need to file it to fit.

Could someone let me know what the screw in base tracer unit for this projectile is? How easy are they to find?

Thanks,
Mark

14 months after buying it, I have finally completed the restoration.:tinysmile_grin_t:

The paint is RAL 6006 Grauoliv. The stencils and resin AZ38 fuze came from Milcorem. The FlaK 18 case is a common-or-garden Finnish rework, but I've Tigered it up with a C/22 primer.

Attachments

• 8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (6).JPG
    8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (6).JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (5).JPG
    8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (5).JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (4).JPG
    8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (4).JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (3).JPG
    8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (3).JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (2).JPG
    8,8cm Gr.39 HL shell - completed (2).JPG
    156 KB · Views: 69
  • 8,8cm FlaK 18 case + C22 primer (1).JPG
    8,8cm FlaK 18 case + C22 primer (1).JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 60
I recommend adding "FES" in white near the driving band. This diagram is out of the German KwK 36 ammunition manual.

Attachments

• 88mm Hollow Charge.jpg
    88mm Hollow Charge.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited: