What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" 200 cwt projectile?

highlandotter

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I have this shell in a 3" 200 cwt 1917 case. My only references show 2 shells, both with day tracers and night tracer. This shell has neither or trace of any. They are 2 piece construction, front for balls and back for fluid for day tracer. My shell is one piece. Looks like a common shrapnel shell. Fuze is buffed and cannot read model and is jammed it projectile. Have weighed the shell and it weighs 7.5 pounds against 15, so I am fairly sure it is inert. I am out of my field here and need HELP! Thanks, frustrated highlandotter.

t
hanks, frustrae

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 91
Can't help with the projectile, but the gun designation is 3 inch 20 cwt, not 200 cwt. 20 hundredweight = 1 ton = the weight of the gun and breech mechanism.

Projectiles for 12 Pdr, 13 Pdr, 15 Pdr, 17 Pdr are all 3 inch diameter.

judging by the condition of the shell ie can see the turning marks on the body, there should be stamping indicating its type unless it left production before that stage, could have failed inspection or it was surplus when production stopped. The 1939 textbook shows trotyl filled 3in 20cwt 16lb mkIIB shell similar band but crimp groove below.

Hello,

I assume a ww1 era shell with a No 185 or No 85/44 (Time fuze).
A lot of different models of 3in shells were made compatible with different guns for example 3in, 3in/12&13pr, 13pr&3in, with day or night tracer, without tracer...
Your shell looks like a 13pr, same band (except groove on head). 194mm matches with some Mark of 13pr.
All the 3in shells I saw with a similar shape were fitted with a crimp groove beneath the driving band and thinner band except a longer one marked Q.F. 13PR & 3IN 20CWT (shrapnel) (longer, same shape but no groove on head).
The groove on the top is typical of 3in shells
Do you have holes on top for the securing fuze screw ?
Could you make a picture of top and inside ?

Regards

one example HE :

3in 12&13pr.jpg

Last edited: