What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual early fuze

Dronic69

Premium Member
Good Morning,

Stumble across this little beauty and wondering if anyone has seen /identify this?

Looks late 1800 /early 1900 and has an "Austrian-Hungary" type fuse look about it.

Stamped "EXZ" on the underside of the body.

The top bit reminds me of a minenwerfer igniter.

Or is it "trenchart"????

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• unknown-2.jpg
    unknown-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 48
  • unknown-1.jpg
    unknown-1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 75
Hello,

Looks like a German Doppz Z C/85 with Reisszünderschraube strangly screwed on top (igniter for gun).
EXZ marking could stand for "Exerzier" (Drill).

Regards

C85.jpgC85 2.jpgR.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting - I'll see if I can obtain a photo or two with the dome cap + igniter removed.

It doesn't make sense to me why the igniter is there unless for trench art effect, perhaps experimental without the normal inertia mechanism to ignite the power train???

Cheers
Drew

There is no such thing in reality! This is pure fantasy:tinysmile_cry_t4: !!! There was a man.

Minenaz16 I think you were very close and digging a little further it appears to be a Dopp Z 86 which had the protective steel cap.

Still doesn't explain the igniter on top >>>> Trench Art!

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 347b0d053a19dd52.jpg
    347b0d053a19dd52.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG6669.jpg
    IMAG6669.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 25
Minenaz16 I think you were very close and digging a little further it appears to be a Dopp Z 86 which had the protective steel cap.

Still doesn't explain the igniter on top >>>> Trench Art!

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Dopp Z/85 (2 rings) and not Dopp Z/86 (only 1 ring)

c86.jpg
c86 2.jpg

Last edited: