What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South African Mills 36

Revealed details

Possession of the grenade shown in the opening post has changed and the current owner has kindly sent a few images after cleaning up the body and lever.

The first photo confirms the body is the same. The second shows the circle on the lever that John mentioned in the original post, albeit cleaned to reveal a letter H - likely the maker of the lever, which could be South African given the body was furnished with a South African base plug.

The third image reveals an interesting detail - an Indian acceptance stamp (a broad arrow over letter I) by the striker aperture, which given the style of factory/date marking on the body, further suggests the body is of Indian manufacture.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 32
DSCN0340.jpgDSCN0341.jpgDSCN0342.jpgDSCN0343.jpgDSCN0344.jpgReopening this thread as I have just acquired this No 36 Mills grenade made in South Africa, body marked EF on the back and the plug marked NPEW dated 1943. On the reverse side can be very faintly seen a small U and a govt arrow and a star and a U also seen on the centre tube. Some of the red and green paint still visible on the body but the filler screw is not of SA origin as it dosnt fit properly and has obviously been replaced with one of British origin, Thanks to Tom, Snufkin for this information. It will be made to fit easily soon as I suspect trying to find a replacement with the correct thread will be nigh on impossible for this rare grenade. A lovely addition to my collection. All I have done is have it washed and i managed to give it a good polish despite being single-handed.

Andy.

Nice one Andy. The base plug looks very thick and heavy in the last photo. Is it a bit like a Mk II plug?

John

It does very much look like a MK 11 plug but although marked up MK 1, Tom told me the often made them like this with enlarged central holes threaded or unthreaded. This one is obviously threaded.I have seen a picture of one with just a burr hole in the centre. Glad to have it, Will get another polish soon, feeling a bit weary today so it will have to wait a while.

Andy

It is of a different shape though with the milled edges and shape, not typical of a MK2 steel plug but as you said to me, they were very variable.I have also noted that the casting of the body was pretty rough compared to most Mills, I suppose it was quantity, not quality that mattered as they were non-returnable items. The Somali made grenade, was of a much better quality and of a slightly different segment pattern, making me think it wasnt made in South Africa.

Andy