What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 1920s experimental 20mm anti-tank

Vasco Da Gama

This little case turned up recently, with a dried flower in it! I have tried to provide the best possible photos, it is 167mm long, rim diameter of 37.6mm, rim thickness 2mm and mouth 21.3mm. The only markings on the case are: R.L, A and a very faint 8. The primer is better marked: No5P, 8/27, W 10/27, I and N. I would offer the case is from work undertaken in the 1920s to develop an anti-tank capability for the British Army. Very glad to be corrected and if anybody has more information it would be much appreciated. Pictured alongside a 20mm Hispano and 25mm French AT cases for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice find! You have a .8 inch Elswick.

This is an extract from something I wrote in the most recent issue of The Cartridge Researcher, concerning the British search for a portable anti-tank gun:

"From 1927, attention focused on the .8 inch calibre. Vickers Ltd had already developed a non-automatic hopper-fed .8 inch gun (further details unknown) and this was acquired for testing but proved unsatisfactory. In parallel with this, a new cartridge was designed, DD/L/3468 (20.3 x 167SR). In 1927, 65 and 70 calibre test barrels designed to use this round were ordered from Vickers Ltd., but in 1928 guns made by EOC were received for trial. As a result, this cartridge is generally known as the .8 inch Elswick. It fired a 2,260 grain (146 g) bullet at 2,850 fps (869 m/s); a great deal of experimentation was carried out to determine the optimum case size and chamber pressure, although the case seems very large for the performance. The water-cooled and strip-fed (5 or 10 rounds) gun used an automatic mechanism said to be similar to the 37 mm Browning (and therefore presumably a long-recoil type). Trials continued until the early 1930s."