What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upkeep mine [Bouncing bomb]

Hallo to you all, I first posted way back in Aug 2014 with a question regarding the the arming and fuzing of the Upkeep mine of Bouncing bomb used with great success by 617 squadron with their attack on the Ruhr dams in May 1943. There were multiple responses to my question which all proved so useful with my presentation to the membership of my local Military history association [ Fremantle, Western Australia ]

All things to do with that famous raid always catch my eye, and although this question is not directly relevant to ordnance fuzing this forum is by far the best place to ask, as regrettably sites such as RAF Bomber command associations and the Imperial War Museum are a waste of time !
The question is regards, the means by which the bomb was spun up to the required 500 rpm, which again i found publications conflicting, they include Electric motor, Hydraulic motor and one publication evan suggested a V8 engine ??

I am inclined to say although not certain the it was the Hydraulic motor, but this still means, electric motor to drive a hydraulic pump to drive to hydraulic motor, as i have said finding technical information is proving difficult, so that why i have come back to you guys, hope you can help.

Jeff Lloyd.

this is from the book "bombs gone" the development and use of british airdropped weapons from 1912 to the present day by wing commander john macbean.
it looks like it is a small engine driving a hydraulic pump

Attachments

• P1030312.JPG
    P1030312.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 26
this is from the book "bombs gone" the development and use of british airdropped weapons from 1912 to the present day by wing commander john macbean.
it looks like it is a small engine driving a hydraulic pump

Thank you for that information, I know that because the bomb bay of the Lancaster had to be modified to accommodate the Upkeep mine, which meant that the mid-upper gun turret had to be removed, the hydraulic oil supply for that turret was diverted to feed the hydraulic drive pump, and as is mentioned in the information supplied, that the inboard Merlin engine would have supplied the electrical power for a motor to drive the pump.

So problem solved, thank you for your time to find out this small piece of useful info. I intend to visit Lincolnshire next year and to visit as many old RAF airfields as possible, especially Scampton.

Thank you

Jeff Lloyd.