What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 Fuze?

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured item turned up recently and I am stumped as to what it is! I suspect it is British as the construction of the time setting rings is very similar to those on a No 80 fuze, pictured alongside for comparison. It is in excellent condition with some original red paint remaining but I suspect it is WW1 vintage. No markings on the fuze, bar a large M on the top of the final capping screw. The upper ring is marked 1-14 and the lower 15-27, base diameter of the adapted ring is 83mm. Ready to be educated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 53
It is the Dutch T&P fuze No.1 (NIL) as used by the Dutch colonial army (in Indonesia). The rings slightly differ. On my drawing they go from 1 to 30. The screw on cap with the M doesn't belong to this fuze, but is from another Dutch T&P fuze used by the Dutch home army.

Attachments

• tsb no 1 NIL.JPG
    tsb no 1 NIL.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 51
Many thanks Grief, I appreciate the identification. I suspect this fuze was in use in the early 1900's? I am trying to work out how a fired example of a fuze used by Dutch colonial troops ended up in Northern England! With Holland being neutral in WW1 I doubt it would have been recovered by a British serviceman.

In the past years I have seen many British collectors visiting our Dutch ammo fairs. So I think one of them must have picked it up over here.

Hi Greif,

From which book is the drawing extracted, and is there a digital copy available ?

Regards,

S.