What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help i.d early anti zeppelin fuze ?

Wgreen

Hi all I have a very interesting shell and fuze which I have been struggling to i.d the shell is a British 4.7" h.e but is filled with a mixture of small and large lead shot ?the fuze is even more puzzling it seems to be a no 80 body with the top replaced with a super sensitive brass rod which is threaded has a steel pin on the bottom with a spring and on firing I believe would have worked it's way undone as the tread is the opposite of the rifling twist I did try and do some research and found reference to a trial fuze which was designed to detonate on balloon fabric I'm hope someone out there with far more knowledge then me can help thanks wg
4dfcf790afa6c6dc5054f70d64de1c96.jpg
9e1834ced4238deaa269041679c8d1d9.jpg
eeacb7b3ce0e7aff6ec0fd97d42cded8.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

Hello,

I can't help with this fuze but UK and US made these kind of T&P modified fuzes (maybe for bombs).

Regards

Examples

80.jpg80 2.jpgMARK13A111.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I can't help with this fuze but UK and US made these kind of T&P modified fuzes.

Regards

Examples

View attachment 135876View attachment 135877View attachment 135878
Hi thanks again that is the closes example I have seen to mine do u know what these fuzes were used for my research leads me to believe they were possibly used as a anti zeppelin fuze being super sensitive once fired but again can find nothing solid so to speak I know they probably would have tried anything to stop them at the time going as far as fitting huge guns to aircraft made from wood and canvass thanks again for your help regards WG

Interesting fuze. If the marking reads RL29119 then this suggests the design is late 1918 or more probably 1919. The Royal Laboratories design number was issued sequentially and this one is towards the end of the RL series [DD(L) drawing series replaced the RL series in 1921 consequent on a post-war reorganisation]. So, if I have read the design number correctly, it post-dates our interests in Zeppelins but there are plenty of other target interests.

Are you able to confirm that the fuze was found with the shell?

Interesting fuze. If the marking reads RL29119 then this suggests the design is late 1918 or more probably 1919. The Royal Laboratories design number was issued sequentially and this one is towards the end of the RL series [DD(L) drawing series replaced the RL series in 1921 consequent on a post-war reorganisation]. So, if I have read the design number correctly, it post-dates our interests in Zeppelins but there are plenty of other target interests.

Are you able to confirm that the fuze was found with the shell?
Hi bonnex I can not confirm for sure that the fuze was found with the shell I acquired it a while ago they were said to have been found in the Thames estuary u have read the design number correctly 29119 so probably not for anti zeppelin work if designed that late in the war have heard could be early bomb fuze ? Thanks for the info regards wg