What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Weight 1945 German 8,8cm High Explosive Shell with Special Fuse Thread

M8owner

I thought I had purchased a normal 88mm HE shell at auction in the US. The first thing I noticed about the box was the light weight. When tried to fit it with a standard AZ 23/28 ground impact fuse, I noticed the mouth was too wide for that fuse, and the thread was too fine. What do I have here, and what fuse should this use? Am I missing an adapter ring of some kind? I have had my hands on many 88mm HE shells, but I have never seen this type before. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• light weight 88 shell 3.jpg
    light weight 88 shell 3.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 33
  • light weight 88 shell 2.jpg
    light weight 88 shell 2.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 43
  • light weight 88 shell.jpg
    light weight 88 shell.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 33
Its a brandschrapnel , and yes, you are missing a ring. I will make a cad drawing for you as soon as I have time.
With the "normal" Brandspreng, you have rings of invendiary pellets with an exploder stick in the centre, with this type you have a central core of 90 degrees ring segments surrounded by explosives.
And it'sn not meant to be fuzes with a AZ23/28 as it's anti aircraft only
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Hello,

For sure this shell needs an adapter to fit the fuze. I don't know lot of 8.8 with this shape fitted with an external head adapter.
Light body seems to be for a special filling.
I have pictures of a 8.8cm Brandsprenggranate with adapter an light body (filled with incendiary segments). No more info about official nomenclature (no doc).

Regards

88 BRANDSPRENG.jpg88 BRSPRGR.jpg

Oups, at same time DJH

Thanks MINENAZ, I lost that picture when my computer crased.
@ Tim G, no, it's a different type, the one M8 owner asks about is the brandspreng, the one you depict is the brrandschrappnel. See picture below for the difference

Attachments

• Comparison of 8,8cm Br.Spgr-1, Br.Spgr-2, BrSchr..jpg
    Comparison of 8,8cm Br.Spgr-1, Br.Spgr-2, BrSchr..jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: