What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mm Bofors ID needed

sksvlad

40 mm Bofors RM/C

I surmise they are both British. Any info especially the manufacturer's name shall be greatly appreciated.
40mm Bofors a.jpg40mm Bofors b.jpg

Last edited:
Canadian cases - RM/C - Robert Mitchell Co. Canada.

There's a lack of a large Broad Arrows and they've got American primers. May well have been filled in the US.

TimG

Last edited:
These Mk V cases have turned up before and all are of Robert Mitchell 1943 manufacture. Now, having looked at numerous 40 mm headstamps it would appear that the final acceptance pheon was not always added. Some Canadian manufactured cases such as 75 mm M18 and 76 mm M26 were sent south to the USA for filling. Both cases are fitted with American primers, manufactured I believe by The Lone Star Ordnance Plant (LS). The cases are the same year of manufacture and there's not a great difference in Lot numbers but have different primers.

"Notes on North American Equipment & Stores Section 9 Ammunition" (October 1944) states-

Primer, Percussion, 20 Grain, M23A2
This primer was the first push fit type to be fitted. --

Primer, Percussion, 55 Grain, M38A1
This is the standard primer in use by the Army for this ammunition. --

Unfortunately, no date is given for the changeover, but a table dated June 1944 shows M38A1 only being used for the 40mm, Shot, Fixed, A.P. M81.

My knowledge of 40mm L/60 is scant but as far as I can ascertain we didn't accept beyond Mk IV and a push fit primer was never approved. The cases could have been made for the US, but one would expect them to be stamped "M25" which was the U.S. designation. It is possible the Canadians were following the U.S. example of using push fit primers and trialling them. The next time I'm at the Archives, I'll have a look to see if there is any reference to the Mk. V case.

TimG.

These 1943 dated RM/C Mk V cases with push in primers also turn up in Australia. So I think they were intended for British/Commonwealth use rather than US as M25s. I think the reason for the push in primers and the Mk V case variant is possibly simply due to primer availability. Perhaps in 1943 there was shortage of screw in primers in Canada, so they simply used the available and close by US made primers. I would love to know the facts behind the Mk V case though.

Attachments

• P1030324.jpg
    P1030324.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 28