What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1895 dated shell and fuze for ID

nellerhorner11

Hi
I have acquired this shell recently and wonder which type is is . Weighs nearly 10 lbs, height inc fuze approx 11 inches , base diameter approx 3 inches . Markings on fuze are RL , IV 6/95 & 23 . The base of the shell has a few marks but hard to make out , but can see RL and F S .
thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 53
  • shell.JPG
    shell.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, there were a number of projectiles of this period that were about 3" calibre, a good clean of the base should reveal further markings. Appears to be fitted with a No. 56 MkIV fuze.

RL - Royal Laboratory, Woolwich - manufacturer
FS - Forged Steel - method of construction

TimG
View attachment 12pr.pdfView attachment 15pr.pdf

Not removed, but I'm assuming it has suffered the same fate as my 15 Pr Mk V. which someone has made a very good job of machining the driving band flush and soldering the nose cap back in place.

TimG

Not removed, but I'm assuming it has suffered the same fate as my 15 Pr Mk V. which someone has made a very good job of machining the driving band flush and soldering the nose cap back in place.

TimG
interesting , but why would someone do that ?

interesting , but why would someone do that ?

It may have been made into a Drill Purpose projectile. In the UK RN 4.5" projectiles used for gunnery drill had the outside diameter, including the copper driving band, skimmed down to prevent the projectile becoming wedged in the rifling. These projectiles were then painted black, including the copper.
Gun drill would be carried out with some elevation on the gun so, when the breech was opened to eject the drill cartridge, the projectile also trundled out after it (mind your toes).

These projectiles were re-used many times and did get knocked about a bit, the paint got scuffed off revealing the copper band and numerous dents appeared where they banged into each other. If the diameter had not been reduced then raised metal around the dents could cause a jam in the bore. Earlier ones included a drill fuze so that fuze setting could be included in the training. Later, when fuze setting was no longed used, a brass nose plug was fitted.

gravelbelly

It may have been made into a Drill Purpose projectile. In the UK RN 4.5" projectiles used for gunnery drill had the outside diameter, including the copper driving band, skimmed down to prevent the projectile becoming wedged in the rifling. These projectiles were then painted black, including the copper.
Gun drill would be carried out with some elevation on the gun so, when the breech was opened to eject the drill cartridge, the projectile also trundled out after it (mind your toes).

These projectiles were re-used many times and did get knocked about a bit, the paint got scuffed off revealing the copper band and numerous dents appeared where they banged into each other. If the diameter had not been reduced then raised metal around the dents could cause a jam in the bore. Earlier ones included a drill fuze so that fuze setting could be included in the training. Later, when fuze setting was no longed used, a brass nose plug was fitted.

gravelbelly

very interesting , makes a lot of sense

003.jpg003.jpg+Thanks for all the help ... I have now cleaned up the base and taken a photo of the markings , hope these will enable you to advise further, much appreciated.

15 Pr but looks like 12 Pr overstamped. I think the reason my driving band was turned flush is that it is a fired projectile that has been 'trench arted' - the remains of the driving band have been engraved with scrolls.

TimG