What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this 1969 105H a repaint?

I have suspected so, but examining the yellow marks sure looks like ink rolled, sloppy, OD bleed through, old faded discolored yellow. Judging by the nicks and gouges in the OD, if it was, it was done long ago. Comments appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 64
If it is a repaint, it's a good one since it looks like it was lettered with a rubber stamp. The Olive Drab looks very military. The one thing that isn't kosher, it that the weight zone markings are supposed to have a center punch mark, that would be done by the person that weighs the projo. The squares are then stamped over the punch marks.

The markings do look a touch off, but the thing that makes me wonder the most is that the rotating band is pretty beat up without matching levels of damage to the paint. Do you have any pictures of the lot number?

"Lot-SPL-6-X-69", the " X" over stamp, has an "8" above it. I have to agree with Hazord, no weight punch marks, and my original suspicion was based on the fact the other side has some pitting? (deeper than normal machining marks) that was painted over.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I would say repaint -- the dent on the projectile just below the word FUZE on the fuse on picture 2 still has paint, I would have thought a dent of that impact would have removed paint and also must have been done wiht the fuze or transt cap not present.

Seems odd that the lot isn't stenciled. There used to be a collector out west that took great pride in his paint jobs, often very difficult to tell from the original. The one "tell" was that he would always put his initials at the beginning of the lot number. Hard to guess how many people out there have his repaints still thinking that they have an original piece. He sold quite a bit or ordnance and would not lie about the repaint - directly - but he would not volunteer the information either.

Thanks all, my conclusion seems to be the same as the veteran collectors here. As it seems to be a reasonable "example" of a correctly marked 105H 1969 shell I welcome it to my collection as I have only a few marked ones. I can say, correctly done inked shells add much more depth and interest to a collection. Thanks for all the input....it is by far the most interesting ( to me) one in my collection...now I need to find a beat up 1969 dated casing for it.

Last edited: