What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 Spennymore

imaokie2000

I have four variations of the .50 Spennymoore. All from a friend in the UK. These types of exps were produced between 1942 and 1945 I have three SR 1942 cases and one SR 44 case with a split neck. I have been looking for a replacement case.

There's 9 or 10 variations of these projectiles, so I have 5 or 6 to go.....................

Top to Bottom

SR 1942 50 / Solid Steel AP - Twin driving bands
SR 1942 50 / Solid Steel AP - Slightly different driving band than the one below it
SR 1942 50 / Solid Steel AP
SR 44 50 / Brass Fused HE or HEI

Spennymore 001.jpgSpennymore 002.jpgSpennymore 003.jpg

Are they placed on 12,7x99 shellcases?
They must be rare, never heard of these cartridges.......

Regards, DJH

Thanks Falcon, I think I knew that, just forgot.

I received what was supposed to be a .50 Spennymoor projectile in the mail today. It may very well be, but it is different from the others I have. In the attached photo, the projectile on the top is a Spennymoor, the center is what I received today and on the bottom is a US .60 Cal. I included a US .60 Cal projectile to compare the construction of a known US projectile to the center projectile.

The gas check/driving band dia - Spennymoor is 13.6mm, the center projectile is 13.5mm, the US .60 is 15.35mm

The projectile dia - Spennymoor is 12.67mm, the center projectile is 13.13mm, the US .60 is 14.9mm

The total length - Spennymoor is 52.84mm, the center projectile is 53.36mm, the US .60 is 69.37mm

The center projectile also has a 3mm hole drilled in the bottom of the gas check.

Any ideas??????

Spennymoor.jpg