What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How rare are the S-Mine 44 (S.Mi.44)

WWIIBuff

I've been looking for a nice S-Mine 44 to add to my collection, but have not found any references on the web to one being available, or one having sold recently. Are these a rare item? Also, if I do find one, any idea what a fair price would be (without the S.Mi.Z.44 which I know is extremely rare)?

Thanks

John

Good luck, years ago i heard of examples but never recently like in last 10 years ,,,,, Dave

I had one for sale but no one wanted it for a while, eventually sold. Still have exact copies of the even rarer S.mine 44 fuze. Still have my best one with wire and even rare celluloid tube that once contain the bounding charge.

Here is a picture of my replica fuze and Smine44 I sold. Sorry I couldn't up load the picture's on the pm, fuze copied as per original, laser cut ears..

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_153357147.jpg
    IMG_20170318_153357147.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170318_153437718.jpg
    IMG_20170318_153437718.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 103
So it sounds like it is sort of "hit and miss" on these. Rare, but not sought after perhaps?

They are most definitely sought after. Just about any collector of WW2 German ordnance would want one, as well as any collector of mines in general. They are just so rare on the collector market that very few ever turn up for sale. In almost 20 years of collecting, I only ever remember seeing one for sale. It was many years ago and I don't recall what it sold for. I'm sure one would fetch a high price in almost any condition.

Last edited:
Try finding the Smine44 igniter I have only seen one and that's the one I copied it from

I have 30 years collected German mines. I have never seen this fuze in life!

Hello,

Maybe I missed something but I only know SMi44 with three holes (fuze, primer, filling).
I notice lexpev shows also two different models, with three and four holes.
Does anyone could explain this variant ?

Regards

smi44.jpg

What you are looking at is a three hole mine but with the shipping cap placed on the top. The correct shipping cap is the top hat cap on the right the one on the left seems to be the standard 35 type of bakalite.

What you are looking at is a three hole mine but with the shipping cap placed on the top. The correct shipping cap is the top hat cap on the right the one on the left seems to be the standard 35 type of bakalite.

Thank you. Sorry for this stupid question but two different pictures with this strange detail.

Here is a picture of my replica fuze and Smine44 I sold. Sorry I couldn't up load the picture's on the pm, fuze copied as per original, laser cut ears..

That looks like a really nice example you sold, I wish I had known about it. :tinysmile_cry_t4:

They are most definitely sought after. Just about any collector of WW2 German ordnance would want one, as well as any collector of mines in general. They are just so rare on the collector market that very few ever turn up for sale. In almost 20 years of collecting, I only ever remember seeing one for sale. It was many years ago and I don't recall what it sold for. I'm sure one would fetch a high price in almost any condition.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Nice posters! Are those in your collection? Are they just a couple pages from a full training aide?

Training posters think 8 pages double sides. I will send if I can take a picture of the first page there stored away that's why the other pics are a bit naff

Training posters think 8 pages double sides. I will send if I can take a picture of the first page there stored away that's why the other pics are a bit naff

Would like to see the entire thing if possible. Perhaps whenever you find time to dig it out, you can start a thread showing every page. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Big question about the Smine 44 'how rare is the igniter' which is even rarer than the mine itself. I have only seen one which I copied from the original and when it was sent to me from Germany from a big time mine collector he insured it for £500. Any collectors out there seen an original igniter, even rarer than the fragile Buck igniters. By the way there are two versions.

Myself I have never seen an original S.Mi.Z.44 . I don't really understand why this is the case. i just checked the book by Fritz Hahn (1986). He writes that the S.Mi.44 (and probably the fuze also) were too expensive in production for the Heereswaffenamt and that cheaper solutions were sought after. BMG50 : If you had an original of the S.Mi.Z.44 in your hands, who was the producer ? How was the barrel of the fuze marked ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

As far as can remember the they were marked dp? or pd?, can't remember as I didn't mark up my replicas.

DSC_0001 (2).jpgDSC_0014 (2).jpg
If anyone wants a S-Mine 44 for restoration or cross-sectioning, please send me a PM. The shrapnel is included. If you need more info just ask. Best offers accepted as this is not really my field.