What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9MM Ball H50

Nismosonic

I picked this up last weekend, my 1st 9MM H50 Mk1 1955 dated, question is its stamped into metal "SF 1955" and "SV 140"
I assume maker marks. Anyone know??
Radway Green filled 10-12-57?
Quite a heavy load when filled. I believe Mk2z was for SMG use?

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpg
    IMG_3646.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
SV140A is the part number (or drawing number) of the box. The trailing 'A' is important, SV140 will be a different object.

SF 1955 is consistent with being the box manufacturer and year of manufacture.

(Sidney) Flavels of Leamington, of Eagle Foundry, Leamington, Warwickshire. seems to be the most promising ID of the company.

TimG

I picked this up last weekend, my 1st 9MM H50 Mk1 1955 dated, question is its stamped into metal "SF 1955" and "SV 140"
I assume maker marks. Anyone know??
Radway Green filled 10-12-57?
Quite a heavy load when filled. I believe Mk2z was for SMG use?
During my Royal Navy service we used several 9mm SMG types, including Sten Mark V, Lanchester and Sterling. Our 9mm pistol was the Browning, made by Inglis. But I only ever came across one mark of 9mm cartridge, the Mark 2z which was used in all. It wasn't good for the pistols in the longer term but we did not get issued with any special pistol ammunition. The same applied during my later time with the army, Browning pistols and Sterlings, same ammunition.

When detailed for storing ammunition on a ship those with a quick eye and reactions grabbed the rifle ammo boxes, much lighter that those pistol brutes.

gravelbelly

During my Royal Navy service we used several 9mm SMG types, including Sten Mark V, Lanchester and Sterling. Our 9mm pistol was the Browning, made by Inglis. But I only ever came across one mark of 9mm cartridge, the Mark 2z which was used in all. It wasn't good for the pistols in the longer term but we did not get issued with any special pistol ammunition. The same applied during my later time with the army, Browning pistols and Sterlings, same ammunition.

When detailed for storing ammunition on a ship those with a quick eye and reactions grabbed the rifle ammo boxes, much lighter that those pistol brutes.

gravelbelly

Mk 2Z was used in SMGs and pistols, as gravelbelly says. I remember a longstanding constraint on the use of Indian manufactured 9mm - only for pistol use, not for use in SMGs. If I remember correctly I think that it was because of the possibility of a weak propellant charge. I once saw an x-ray of an SMG barrel that contained about ten bullets, nose to tail, lodged in the barrel.