What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pounder Identification Help

jamesomac

Hello,

I'm pretty new to collecting so I'm not quite sure what some of the markings may be. I'm also a little confused by the lack of an acceptance mark.

I was told by the seller that the round was picked up by a soldier during the second battle of Ypres and brought back to Canada, to explain the unfired condition. Checking the filled date that's impossible, but I had forgotten my history at the time.

The shell itself has no markings at all. The fuze and primer holes are filled with transport plugs. The x in the 4:30 position, the R in the 6:00 and the B.A. in the 9:00 I am unsure about. There are also a variety of stamped letters on the underside of the shell visible through the primer hole but I believe these are probably specific workers' marks.

The fuze hole seems differently shaped than I've seen as there is no ridge to fit into a fuze and after trying a no 80 fuze I believe my shell is too small for it as my shell seems to much narrower. There are two markings inside the fuze hole of the shell as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

20170814_075510[1].jpg20170814_075431[1].jpg20170821_191123[1].jpg20170821_191039[1].jpg20170812_205609[1].jpg

The case was made by M.A.C. - Montreal Ammunition Company.
3 12 15 is the acceptance date, not filling date.
Most MAC cases have BA over the date, bit in some instances RA. - I suspect the initials of the examiner.
There is also a "+" stamp on your case which appears on other MAC cases, as to it's significance and that of the 'R' I do not know.
Your particular case is missing 'case history' stamps. Once the case is filled you would expect it to be stamped 'C' for Cordite or kindred and 'F' denoting it is a full charge. (very simplified description). It is not unknown for cases to escape without being stamped but tends to point to having been liberated prior to filling. The primer plug is improvised.

The fuze socket was made by (encircled R) Robertson James Ltd, Toronto.

On the drawing for the Mk. IX Shrapnel the dimensions for the top of the fuze socket are given as H. 2.335", L 2.325" this is less than the diameter of the base of a No. 80 fuze.

The only stamping on the base that might be of significance is what appears to be a 'X' which may be part of the mark stamping.

TimG

Thanks Tim.

That puts my search for the correct fuze much further ahead. It also makes me wonder if the shell and case were mated at the factory or a previous owner did it.

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get more information on the Mk. IX Shrapnel Shell or the fuze that fits it would you? I've only heard of the no. 80, and no. 85 but I'd assume the 85 is also too big.

- James

James,

I didn't explain the socket very well, the lip is intentional, so use the No. 80 you have.

TimG