What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Release Switch No3 Mk 1

AE501

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
While looking for an item to include in the 'Cutaways' thread about the L5A1 switch, I came across this instead, but I will keep looking.
Photo 1 shows the closed lid and indicates the shape of release tongue. The pin is modern.
Photo 2 shows the uncocked mechanism and the angle of the release tongue is quite visible. I would require either a lot of training or a heavy weight on the lid to use this.
Photo 3, which has somehow got into position 4 (operator error), shows how the striker can be swivelled up to allow the capped safety fuze igniter to be inserted, then pushed back into position.
Photo 4 shows the cocked position, with the ring pin through the brass hammer head holding the hammer arm under tension.

The lid is then closed which brings the sloped tongue into position, so that when the lid is closed and the safety pin is removed, only the weight above prevents an upwards movement of the lid which would allow the switch to function. I would definitely be putting the safety fuze into the igniter last.
It is easy to see that this could easily be used as a pull switch, by anchoring it down and putting a stone or something under the lid, at the hole end, to keep the tongue out of the way, enabling the lid to be partially closed, which would help to keep the hammer arm unobstructed.
This is covered in some detail in OP1665, Page 423 (thumbnail 427).

1   Release Switch No 3 Mk 1 - UK  - 1.jpg2   Release Switch No 3 Mk 1 - uncocked mechanism  - 1.jpg3  Release Switch No 3 Mk 1 - cocked mechanism  - 1.jpg4   Release Switch No 3 Mk 1 - uncocked mechanism - capped snout access - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clean example. Noticed that your safety pin is different, normally a looped bit of wire. There are different spring types, one's without the coiled spring and with an extra leaf spring. Not sure if there is a Mk 1 or 2 version or made by a different manufacture.

I know what you mean about the looped bit of wire, I have seen it in another reference, also one with a small ring like on a Grenade No 5.
I did say it was a modern ring but it was all I had to hand. I expect the other one is about somewhere.

There must be slight variations between these switches I noticed that mills bomber pin varies slightly to the ones i have seen. Nice box of switches.