What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sth. african claymore box

kiwieod

got this nice south African claymore mine box last weekend.nice to see some different stuff down here.i think the NZ army is using them as we are not to fussy where we get our ordnance from.

Attachments

• P1030320.JPG
    P1030320.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P1030321.JPG
    P1030321.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 47
  • P1030322.JPG
    P1030322.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
Looks very South African to me, being a South African. Standard type of container used for various munitions. Also the M18A1 = South African.

Not quite true Danny.
We are very fussy where the ammo comes from,just we use such small quantities we often have to take what is available from vendors who will supply in small quantities,or it could have been part of an interim order.
In this part of the world Sth Korean makes more sense than South African, as a lot of current ammo is sourced via larger suppliers from there.

Last edited:
yes I was abit quick to assume that one as the guy gave me the box on the weekend and said it was from sth africa

It might be a case of the South Africans buying Korean tackle and transfering it to a local container upon receipt. It has black paint covering some previous markings with a sticky lable on top it all.

Even more interesting:
the NIIN Number 98 (for the country where that particular item was in the stock system) is for New Zealand.

Joe

Even more interesting:
the NIIN Number 98 (for the country where that particular item was in the stock system) is for New Zealand.

Joe

Slight correction, the NSN Country Code represents the country where the item was first "codified".

If New Zealand required Claymores and employed a South Korean company to manufacture them, New Zealand would create a unique NSN for the items using 98 as the coutry code. If New Zealand purchased an existing Claymore from South Korea the country code would be 37. Confused yet? :D