What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pounder Shell Case

tankfreak

Hi there, I am new to this forum and have a very small collection of ordnance as part of my Militaria collection.

I bought this 6 pounder shell case in the last couple of weeks and would like more info on the head stamps. Is this a naval Hotchkiss? What date is it from?

thanks in anticipation.

IanIMG_8155.jpgIMG_8156.jpg

In addition to the thread Glevum has referred you to -

This case was made by K - Kynoch.

The anchor stamp above the 'K' appears on a lot of their cases and whilst its significance hasn't been established, it does not denote a Naval service case. There are plenty of Land Service only cases so stamped. It is more than likely an examiner's mark.

In theory, if it was a Naval service case it should be stamped with a 'N'

TimG

I have managed to measure my shell case and the measurements coincide with a Hotchkiss 6 PDF. I have also deduced that the manufacture date could be Jan 1934, does this seem probable?
The circled letter I is apparently denoting that it is fitted with a MK II thin cap.

Ian

Last edited:
The 6pdr Hotchkiss was very much a second-line gun by the 1930s, and in WW2 would have been found fitted to auxiliary naval vessels etc.