What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120mm M831A1 TP-T

I won this auction, it is an M831A1 I believe. Not in possession yet. I have also the short head case for the base. Questions, 1) where can I find a dummy combustionable case for it? 2) Unlikely to find one? I have seen people turn one out of wood.Can someone confirm the details, measurements and dimensions on the combustionable case drawing (pictured) and the method they used to fabricate one for theirs? All suggestion, pitfalls, comments appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I received what I believe is the 120mm M831A1. Description as lifted from the web: finless, fielded in 1995, and identified by a nylon band. Can members confirm? Markings: white ink stamp " FER95A004-001" and three engraved arrows on the stem nose section. No other markings found. See pictures. Comments and thoughts appreciated. I am thinking of making the combustionable case from epoxy coated cardboard using the dimensions posted earlier.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 22
I am in the process of making one the exact same as that wood one, using those measurements which are correct (taken from a members round here and turned into CAD).

It is made using a birdsmouth router bit, not solid wood. Its almost like making a wooden barrel, each stave nestles into the next forming the cylinder. I had a long conversation with the guy that made the one above, and to me it seems like the best way to do it in my opinion. It does take a little bit of math, time, and some tools like a lathe however.

I would recommend doing a trial run first as well (I messed up my first one pretty badly). If you like woodworking these router bits are seriously cool and you can make some incredible stuff with them.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention all of the 120mm rounds connect differently to the combustible section of the case. Some have very sharp shoulder with no neck, some have sloping shoulders with longer necks. If you want to be really accurate that is something to take into account.

Last edited:
I won this auction, it is an M831A1 I believe. Not in possession yet. I have also the short head case for the base. Questions, 1) where can I find a dummy combustionable case for it? 2) Unlikely to find one? I have seen people turn one out of wood.Can someone confirm the details, measurements and dimensions on the combustionable case drawing (pictured) and the method they used to fabricate one for theirs? All suggestion, pitfalls, comments appreciated.

attachment.php

Hey!

That looks like my deck in the background. :hello: