What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My SNIDER AMMUNITION BOX

Very nice item. I've been tempted to buy a Canadian Snider ammunition box a few times this year, (eBay [expensive], Beltring, and on a US website), but I would much prefer a British example.

I must admit , I have never seen a British one for sale in 50 years of collecting ! If I could find one I would sell this one to finance it !

yes that was mine ... was trying to get a good price for it at W & P so I can buy a Martini Henry one which a friend wants to sell

There are no Canadian Snider boxes, what there is are British boxes sent to Canada, there would be no difference in any way for the original 1860s boxes. What is shown is surely one of these boxes refilled. It would be a nice box to have here as mostly if not almost entirely are the origin shipped boxes, sometime nice condition, sometimes not.
There are a fair number of them over here and the realistic value for a decent one is $200.00 Canadian The price I just saw is rather excessive
as they don't seem to sell for more, from my experience. The next mark of Snider box which is larger is quite rare how ever and Martini boxes or Boer War era 303 boxes seldom show up compared to the regular Snider boxes. My Snider box was repurposed to hold 303 gallery rounds pre ww1.
My thoughts at any rate.

Last edited:
There are no Canadian Snider boxes, what there is are British boxes sent to Canada, there would be no difference in any way for the original 1860s boxes. What is shown is surely one of these boxes refilled. It would be a nice box to have here as mostly if not almost entirely are the origin shipped boxes, sometime nice condition, sometimes not.
There are a fair number of them over here and the realistic value for a decent one is $200.00 Canadian The price I just saw is rather excessive
as they don't seem to sell for more, from my experience. The next mark of Snider box which is larger is quite rare how ever and Martini boxes or Boer War era 303 boxes seldom show up compared to the regular Snider boxes. My Snider box was repurposed to hold 303 gallery rounds pre ww1.
My thoughts at any rate.

Thats very helpful thanks and I do agree. Although Snider boxes do turn up regularly in Canada , we dont see them very often here in England , and you are absolutely right regarding Martini boxes & Boer War era 303 boxes .