What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills storage / transportation box. Belgian, French, US, etc.?? ww1 ww2 ??

John8

Hi there,
some time ago I found this mills box on a local flea market, at my home town! I was just too late to get my hands on a nice demontable belgian fuze they also had, but happy with this small box.

Anyway I've been searching for information about this model, can't find a similar one online (normally that is not a good thing...)
I hope there are some experts here regarding mills and theire storage box.

This one has a different handle hinge and lock as what is mostley found online, however definetly for mills !! There is some leather on the inside to keep te tool (base plug key).
And has some clear nails visible where the plates were to separate the box container.

Someone knows the origin of this box? Could it be Belgian? French, US, other? Or a specific periode ww1, interbellum, ww2, post war?
Is the locking original or reworked to make it a tool-box ?

Hope to get some feedback! Thank you in advance!

Kistje (1).JPGKistje (2).JPGKistje (3).JPGKistje (4).JPG

And some pictures I found online, with similar but different model

mills 36m box.jpgpost-63666-0-97584300-1365857055_thumb.jpgpost-63666-0-70512000-1365857068_thumb.jpg

A nice find.

The box is a correct and proper G5 MkI box for No.5 hand grenades, as originally designed by Mills himself. Up to April 1916, about 1.2 million of this version were made at a unit cost of 4s 6d (four shillings and sixpence).

On the bottom face of the box, or maybe around the edge of the bottom plank, there should be branded into the wood G5 I.

Tom.

Last edited:
what's left of my example you can just make out G5 branded underneath the box.
Super rare item in fantastic condition great to see

Thank you for this information !!! This will be a nice restauration project for this winter (only the interior, the rest I leave as it is)

Very helpfull, it is not easy to find something of it online! Even when you know what model it is , google isn't very helpfull wit "G5 MkI box for No.5 hand grenades"
Are there period pictures know of this crate? I like to keep these with my items for when I get older and start forgetting things!

1,2 million and only four shillings and sixpence, I down't dare to calculate to euro's ;-) Gues I overpayed it!!

Found my box on a period picture!

I'm pretty sure it is this one, if someone can confirm (or the opposite of it).

It is the one on the left, and also one between the pile (middle)
Picture was called "German Trench captured by Canadians on the Somme. October, 1916."

German Trench captured by Canadians on the Somme. October, 1916..jpg