What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made up rules or laws related to collecting

Falcon

I was at the car boot sale earlier today, and saw someone selling some British military issue clothing and webbing gear. I asked him if he had any weapon cleaning kits or magazines, which those types of stalls sometimes do. It's not actually my collecting area, but someone else I know asks me to look out for them.

He replied that he was ex-military, and if he had any that it would be illegal to sell them to anyone without a military ID card.

Those types of items can be found at any show such as War and Peace, and are not controlled by law in the UK. However he was adamant that this was law.

I was also once told that if the police caught someone with an air weapon in public, they would confiscate and modify it to fire live rounds so they could put you in prison for having a "real gun".

Another good one that I overheard at Detling last year was that someone "couldn't believe all these guns were for sale, this place is a terrorist's dream". They were obviously not aware that they were deacts and replicas.

Has anyone else here been told anything like this before? I though it would be a useful thread for putting right any myths floating around out there.

The problem is that our politicians make laws over the nonsense described above.