What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French bomb ??

FZG76

Ordnance approved
Hi

I search some information about this bomb from 75mm shell like 17Lbs frag US.
Best regards
20170902_120231.jpeg

This seems to be an Obus de 75mm Michelin, used massively by the Breguet bombers in 1917-1918:
Obus 75mm Michelin .gif
The earlier French bombs made from a 75mm shell were not so efficient.
Obus 75mm Early .gif

Bombe de 75.jpgobus de 75 français transforme en bombes d'avio ww1.jpg

Bombs based upon 75mm shells gave way soon to the much more efficient bombs made from a body of 90mm shells that remained in service with the French Air Force....till after ww2!!!
Here the data of the 10kg Type made P made from 90mm shells
38d.jpg39d.jpg
The bomb suspension on the body of the shell, like on the photo in your post, suits the Michelin bomb racks (thence for 10kg bombs "type M" )

Thanks for the diagrams.
I agree with Michelin regarding the suspension!
I'm especially looking for a name for this bomb like 10KgP for example.

For information, the inner reconstruction is faithful to reality. There were two types of explosives.

Looking for any information ... Thanks in advance

Michelin bombs were named according to the caliber of the shell's body used: "75 Michelin", "115 court Michelin" , "115 long Michelin" and the rarely used "155 Michelin".
To these we must add, as previously written, the bombs based upon 90mm shells, that were called initially "90 Michelin", but very fast known as "10kg type M" and "10kg type P" bombs (according to the type of suspension).

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for those infos.
Dreamk, from what book are extracted the 3 last images of your reply ? Is it available online ?

Regards,

S.

It's from the Manuel du bombardier 1918 - I have cleaned the scans of the chapter bombs and fuzes. I think I'll upload them in the download section as I see that a number of members are interested.