What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.M. C. Co. 57mm 6 pdr.

Antman

I have what appears to be an 57mm 6 pdr, case headstamped U.M.C. Co. BRIDGEPORT CONN. U.S.A. This case is most likely before 1911 as that is when U.M.C. and Remington merged. The case is 57mm cal (Bottle-Necked) with a length of 307mm. The head is 75mm. Is this a Hotchkiss or a Vickers case type? What is the difference between them?

Hotchkiss. Hotchkiss was used by US Navy. Vickers made Hotchkiss 6 pdr and others. The main differences are the case length and projectile rotating bands

I have what appears to be an 57mm 6 pdr, case headstamped U.M.C. Co. BRIDGEPORT CONN. U.S.A. This case is most likely before 1911 as that is when U.M.C. and Remington merged. The case is 57mm cal (Bottle-Necked) with a length of 307mm. The head is 75mm. Is this a Hotchkiss or a Vickers case type? What is the difference between them?
Ah man I really need one of these casings for my 6 pounder am3rican

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A Nordenfelt style case has a sunken ring around the primer. Other wise these cases are the same except for markings. U.S. made cases don't have the circular groove. The difference is the markings. There is a longer version made by Vikers for one or two ships only, I forget the length, but you won't have that kind.

Last edited: