What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scharfer Sprengkörper - What is this WWII German artifact? A mine? A grenade? Or???

WWIIBuff

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in because I have no idea what it really is. I am being told by the seller that is ia some sort of water mine from very late in the war. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• DSC09590.JPG
    DSC09590.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC09591.jpg
    DSC09591.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Someone founds these pictures on a Russian forum where it was discussed as well, but I do not think a definite conclusion was made as to what these are.

Attachments

• DSCF4310.JPG
    DSCF4310.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF43091.jpg
    DSCF43091.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 73
The device is acoustic. They dropped in sea, when hits the ground the charge is ignited. Then they measure the time and see then how deep sea is.
I have somewhere an original leaflet, when I find it.

It must have an extremely sensitive fuze as not all sea bottoms are sand or stone , but often soft mud.

I´ve had that Lotkörper for a few years and it has the same construction as it on started post.

According the U-Boat archive vocabulary: German Freilot (aslo known as a Fallot, Electrolot) - Explosive depth sounder - an exactly 2m/sec little free-falling weight of torpedo shape with a cartridge at the tip which exploded when it hit the bottom. The time that elapsed between it touching the sea surface and detonation at the bottom gave fairly precise depth information.

Developed in the 1920s and up, weight ca 150gr (nose wight Zn ca 50gr), diameter 37mm, length 180mm.

Some closer picture shown and other pictures you can find http://http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/98170-Electroacustic-device-Scharfer-Sprengkörper

Attachments

• U-EL-Spr7.jpg
    U-EL-Spr7.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 37