What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW2 3.7in HE Projectile?

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured fired projectile turned up recently, not in the best condition and there are no discernible markings due to surface rust. I think it is a HE projectile for the British WW2 3.7in anti-aircraft gun. The base diameter is 94mm, length 333mm, width of driving band 30mm and distance from the bottom of the driving band to the base is 40mm. What surprised me is the deep grove directly underneath the driving band, with another more normal crimping grove below. Confirmation of my identification and any thoughts would be most welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 49
3.7" looks about right.
I wonder if the deep groove is the result of someone 'tidying' it up.When fired the driving band is compressed into jagged edges at the base,so maybe this was not visually appealling so they have cut/filed off the offending bits.
The only 3.7" i've seen in this general condition have been missing the band all together.

It would appear to be a Shell 3.7" HE.
The twin body groove is correct for 3.7" HE and for the various colours of Smoke Bursting.
In the case of HE shell, all designs are coned into the groove immediately below the driving band and cannelured all the way round the lower groove.
Smoke Bursting shell are coned into the upper groove, but have eight equi-spaced indents into the lower groove.

3.7" looks about right.
I wonder if the deep groove is the result of someone 'tidying' it up.When fired the driving band is compressed into jagged edges at the base,so maybe this was not visually appealling so they have cut/filed off the offending bits.
The only 3.7" i've seen in this general condition have been missing the band all together.
Agreed, the bottom 5mm or so of driving band is missing, the large gap below the band would not be seen on an unfired shell.
Attached picture from the user handbook.
57003622c11aca22a67dff5ca8a79449.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nice detective work gents, very impressive! I guess sometime in the past the bottom of the driving band was removed, you live and learn!