What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 Cal Spoter Round

orcutteod

I was wondering what is in the tip of a .50 cal spotter round that was used on the US 106 reconciles rifle. I know their is a primer that is staked in the tip to detonate whatever the contents are that create smoke. The only thing I can thing of is phosphorous.

the substance in the tip is i believe fulminate of mercury looks like grey powder

Fulminate of Mercury is much too sensitive to use as a bulk spotter filling, and it is a high explosive as used in detonators (blasting caps). Much too dangerous to be handled as ammunition is. The desired filling of the spotter round would be a flash producing low explosive.

I have seen a magnesium fire on the front landing gear on a F15 when the brakes locked up on take off. We had a hell of a time putting it out but saved the airplane.