What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to go, in San diego?

thekees

Next week i have to go to an university college in San Diego. Besides visiting the large aircraft carrier, does anyone have some tips or recommendations to visit, while there?

The San Diego Zoo is a world class zoo. Thee are some old coast fortifications there. It has been so long since I visited them I can't give directions, but I am sure locals can guide you to them. I would stay from crossing into Mexico. Nothing but sleaze and poverty and crime.

burrowing

The fences are in good order, but they tunnel under all the time and slip people and drugs through it all the time. Big farce, money talks, very loudly!!!

I'll be going to San Diego next January. It all depends on what you want to see. Must see are Coronado Island http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/96335-Random-pics-whilst-on-the-Coronado-Island, Balboa Park (Zoo is inside), downtown with Gaslamp district and Old Town. If you believe in ghosts or have teenagers with you, do Ghosts and Graves evening tour from Old Town, very entertaining. Balboa Park has multiple musea inside in addition to the Zoo. Car museum, Air and Space Museum, theatres, dinosaurs etc. Be aware that downtown has free rides, no need for taxi, in large golf carts. You'll see them whizzing around. If you have a car, there is Temecula wine area about 1 hour away. Mission Beach slightly north has surfers and bikinis, good place to hang out daytime. La Jolla has hords of tourists and screaming seals and sea lions. Traffic in the city is totally maddening. If you go to Zoo, be aware that it is PHYSICALLY challenging, you have to go up and down hill A LOT. Wow, let me take a breath.
If you have access to the military bases, there is Camp Pendelton. MCAS Miramar has a free aviation museum right outside of the military base so there is no special admission required, just walk in.

Last edited:
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/94738-San-Diego-Air-amp-Space-Museum-CA
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/94749-NAS-Coronado-San-Diego-CA

Good advise above: do NOT cross into Mexico. I took one of those red downtown trams from San Diego to the Mexican border. I came to the turnstile gate (you exit US and enter Mexico). A bunch of border patrol guards were standing next to me. I asked them: "What's there, on the other side?". They said: "Nothing, don't go". I listened to them and got back into the red tram to San Diego. I think it is the wisest thing
i've ever done.

Last edited:
Regarding the wall. Yes, it is there. You may see pictures of it, just say San Diego border wall, images. I think the wall is stupid. I think it needs to be a moat. A ditch is cheaper to construct, cheaper to maintain, it does not spoil the view, and with limited crossings it will not impede animal migration.
Also, you need to be familiar with US Border Patrol uniforms, they are green, this is a type of armed police, you will see them in San Diego.

Thanks all, and i wont cross the border, about 15 years ago, already visited Mex through Texas and the north side of the line is more preferable too me.