What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120 mm BAT Drill. Please help.

Andy Naude

Good Day all.

I have just purchased a 120 mm BAT Drill round with the weight at about 27 kg. This item needs to be transported and it would be great to get the weight down. Does any body know how to dismantle the rear brass base section? There is a nut which comes off. Does the rear section unscrew? Is the Drill round weighted ?

View attachment 136908
View attachment 136907
View attachment 136906

Please help.

Attachments

• image2 (006).JPG
    image2 (006).JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image1 (00F).JPG
    image1 (00F).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 34
  • image1 (00D).JPG
    image1 (00D).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 41
Any ideas?

I don't know the answer to your question but have you thought about giving the bolt part a firm tap with a hammer to see if it loosens. It would seem reasonable for there to be a piece of metal running from the nut on the base through to the brass top of the round. If the top comes off then if there is any additional weighting hidden inside the wood then you may be able to see it.

Dave.

The bofors drill rounds i have had of the same design have a locknut like yours which you undo then the base screws off, the inside has a wooden spacer, should undo with 2 people! give rim a tap to side with a nylon hammer if not and try again. Tig:tinysmile_grin_t: